Pre-existing Medical Conditions
Medical screenings are available across all international and domestic plans and provide an opportunity for people who didn’t previously have access to medical cover to experience the world more safely.
We can assess more than 3,000 existing medical conditions quickly and objectively. Any additional premium for medical cover can be purchased immediately online or over the phone with no delay, paperwork or referral.
You can complete multiple medical screenings for all travellers on one policy.
We recognise that many people who wish to travel do not enjoy perfect health. Most, if not all travel insurance policies, exclude any pre-existing medical conditions unless you declare them and failure to do so can make that policy void or result in only partial payment or even non-payment of any claim.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a pre-existing medical condition?
- Any chronic or currently ongoing medical or dental condition of which you are aware or any complication related to any such chronic or current condition; or
- Any medical or dental condition, or related complication, the symptoms of which you are currently aware; or
- A medical or dental condition that is currently being investigated or treated, or has been investigated or treated in the 90 days prior to the issue of the Certificate of Insurance, by a health professional (including dentist or chiropractor or physiotherapist); or
- Any medical condition, current ongoing or experienced at any time in the past, involving your back, neck, brain, heart, circulatory system, respiratory system or cancer; or
- Any condition for which you take prescribed medicine; or
- Any condition for which you have had surgery, or any complication arising from any surgery you have at any time had for any reason; or
- Any condition for which you see a medical specialist; or
This definition applies to you, your travelling party, a close relative and any other person.
Is my pre-existing medical condition automatically covered?
If you have a pre-existing medical condition it is automatically covered by our standard policy if:
- your condition is listed as one of the automatically covered conditions and you meet all the specified criteria
- you do not have any other pre-existing medical condition
- you have not attended a hospital (including day surgery or the emergency department) in the past 24 months for any condition; and
- you meet the age limits of the plan.
If you do not meet these requirements, try our pre-existing medical self-assessment service.
Which pre-exisiting medical conditions aren't covered?
The following pre-existing medical conditions are specifically excluded, and there is no cover for any loss arising from, exacerbated by, related or attributable to these conditions.
Any condition for which a metastatic or terminal prognosis has been given.
Where you are not yet pregnant but are undergoing fertility treatment, now or before your trip commences, there is no cover available under any plan for this treatment or any resulting pregnancy.
Pregnancy in certain circumstances
There is no cover for pregnancy when:
- You are more than 26 weeks pregnant in the case of a single pregnancy or 19 weeks in the case of a multiple pregnancy; or
- You will not complete your trip before the end of the 26th week of your single pregnancy or the end of the 19th week of your multiple pregnancy; or
- Your pregnancy is a multiple pregnancy which arose from services or treatment associated with an assisted reproduction program, including but not limited to in vitro fertilisation.
- You have experienced any complications, for any pregnancy, prior to your policy being issued.
There is no cover available for mental illness as defined by DSM IV including, but not limited to, the following:
- Dementia, depression, anxiety, stress or other mental or nervous conditions;
- Behavioural diagnosis (such as autism, ADHD);
- A therapeutic or illicit drug or alcohol addiction;
- Eating disorders;
whether or not the condition arises independently or is secondary to other medical conditions.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections
There is no cover available for any sexually transmitted diseases/infections, HIV or AIDS.
Do you offer standard cover without a medical assessment?
We do offer standard cover to travellers up to 81 years of age without medical assessment. (This excludes pre-existing medical conditions other than those automatically accepted.) Our premiums are calculated on age as at date of policy issue (and various other factors).